WHAT IS INVOLVED?
On mjf hothouse, artists will get:
- Ten 1:1 hours with a hand-picked Industry Mentor. Previous mentors include Julia Payne, Emily Jones, Amy Pearce, David Porter, Amanda Huxtable and Richard Warburton.
- Personalised workshops which could cover anything from stage lighting, to personal resilience, artistic ambition and building your own website.
- Up to £2300 cash to cover your creation time as a band leader, the costs of paying your collaborators or band to rehearse and perform, plus some expenses.
- An industry showcase performance where we’ll introduce you to the movers and shakers of the music industry, and you’ll get valuable feedback on your new work.
- Producing & marketing support and 1:1 coaching sessions with the wider mjf team, to develop your work over the programme.
- Connection with mjf’s Artistic Director, Steve Mead.
- 1:1 support with fundraising to realise the long-term potential of your project.
- A peer network of musicians within the mjf hothouse cohort, lifelong friends and a long term network.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be eligible you need to be:
- Aged 18yrs +. There is no upper age limit
- Based in the North of England. If you are applying as part of a group, at least 75% of the group must also be based in the North of England
- Making music with some element of improvisation or jazz – whatever that means to you
- Already making moves professionally, rather than just starting out. See our FAQs for more detail on this
- 24 August 2022 (midnight): DEADLINE for applications
- 6 + 8 September 2022: Interviews
- 12 November: Workshop day 1
- November 2022 – March 2023: Working on new work, meeting with mentor
- 14 March 2023: Industry Showcase
- 15 April 2023: Workshop day 2
HOW TO APPLY
- Dream up a new idea for an ambitious piece of music that includes improvisation.
- Record a home-made video of you performing live – no longer than 2-ish minutes please. We don’t want flash edits, we just want to hear your sound.
- Once you’ve got your idea and video, fill in this simple form. We are interested in learning about your idea and, crucially, identifying the barriers that you are facing. We need you to be open, honest and it’s ok to be vulnerable here. We can make the best impact if we know what you are going through.
DEADLINE for applications: midnight on 24 August 2022. SUBMIT AN APPLICATION HERE
If you have access needs or require materials in alternative formats, just ask!
Check out our FAQs page to make sure hothouse is right for you, it could be that you’re more suited to soundcheck or originals – so read about them all and if you’re still unsure, email firstname.lastname@example.org
mjf hothouse is supported by funding from Arts Council England and Help Musicians UK. mjf is a PRS Foundation Talent Development Partner.
Photo Credits: Richard Tymon; Film Credits: Ray Chan. Produced by Helen Goodman, mjf Talent Development Associate.