mjf hothouse is for unsigned musicians at all stages of their career, who haven’t yet secured a major opportunity or commission yet, and have a new idea they want to try out.
It’s a free scheme for artists looking to develop ideas, hone their craft and move their careers onto the next step.
hothouse helps you overcome barriers that may have prevented you from furthering your career as a musician, and gives you the chance to develop an idea that you haven’t yet been able to do, in a supportive environment.
mjf understand the pressures on independent artists and we want to support brave, new ideas and people who demonstrate potential.
What we offer
- Up to £2,300 cash to cover your creation time, the costs of paying your band to rehearse and perform, plus some expenses. The exact amount will be worked out based on the number of musicians in your band. Please note we are only able to support ensembles with a maximum of 6 people, including you. The figure here represents the offer for a band of 6 people.
- 10 hours of 1:1 mentoring with an industry specialist chosen to suit your needs
- Two days of workshops on navigating the music industry, tailored to the three successful applicants
- A 10-15 minute performance slot at our showcase event with feedback from industry professionals
- Industry introductions and networking opportunities
- Producing & marketing support and 1:1 coaching sessions with the wider mjf team, to develop your work over the programme
- Connection with mjf’s Artistic Director, Steve Mead
- A ‘next steps’ session at the end of the programme, including advice on fundraising.
- You (and over 75% of your band) must be based in the North of England
- You must be aged 18+
- Your idea must be something new that you haven’t performed to a live audience before. It must contain jazz – whatever that means to you – and improvisation.
The commitment we need from you
- Availability and commitment to attend all sessions on the dates below
- Commitment to pay all artists fairly
- Enthusiasm and support for all other artists within the hothouse 2019 cohort
- Crediting mjf hothouse throughout the life of the new piece of work
Applications for the latest round of mjf hothouse are now closed. Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know when applications re-open.